Friday, July 17, 2009

Baseball Caps

This is a repost. I edited it recently, so if you are getting a notification about this being a new post, it isn't ...you have read it before.

Baseball caps.

I recently went shopping with my wife to update the wardrobe. Without going into details about my apparently uncreative fashion choices (she would say that what I have been wearing does not actually qualify as fashion) I got some new clothes. While picking out these new clothes together she also picked out for me a new baseball cap. I was already wearing one. She claimed that the one she had picked out was better because it goes with all the clothes we picked out.

Wait a minute....it GOES WITH stuff? Is that even the purpose or intent of a baseball cap? On a woman maybe (if she is not within 10 miles of a sporting event) but on a man? In what universe is what a baseball cap "goes with" a factor?

The cap gets it's name from a game, 'baseball', that is the very LAST stop on the bad fashion train (Astros uniforms 1975-1979). Well OK, generally all sports uniforms in general may share that stop.

So, I put it out there on a social networking site. Is this cap a utility or an accessory and many responded. Most women agree that it is a man's prerogative to wear whatever he want on his head and that it does not HAVE to go with anything. But for a woman it is never more than an accessory. Most, but not all, men who responded tend to agree with the utilitarian perspective, "it covers your head and keeps the sun out of your eyes." AS IS ITS ONLY INTENT.

However, now that we are finding these caps in the men's fashions department they are apparently evolving from utility to accessory. This is a load of crap.

The wife's complaint was that the hat I was wearing (purchased in a head covering emergency in a t-shirt shop in a touristy area of San Francisco only a few months ago), was now all sweat stained inside and gross. In other words - perfect. It was shapely enough to still be recognized for what it is, but grimy enough to hold my keys, wallet, phone, change etc when I take it off at the gym. Truly utilitarian and it had no John Deer logo on it.

Ultimately I relented and got the new, more fashionable hat to make her happy (oh her "happiness" is another blog entry or 1000 altogether).

Bottom line, a new more fashionable hat will be treated the same as the old one, it just won't clash with my shirt anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Randy, as a woman who replied to your post on FB, I am offended. "But for a woman it is never more than an accessory." WHAT? I was the first person to reply, and I said it was utilitarian!

    Am I not a woman now? Uncool, man, uncool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paresed the quote and took it out of context but that may be the fault of my punctuation. I said; " Most women agree that it is a man's prerogative to wear whatever he want on his head and that it does not HAVE to go with anything. But for a woman it is never more than an accessory." and I guess it should have read:

    Most women agree, "That it is a man's prerogative to wear whatever he want on his head and that it does not HAVE to go with anything, but for a woman it is never more than an accessory."

    Inother words, most women agree to that, not ALL

    ReplyDelete