Thursday, July 9, 2009

Open Fridge Night

Ok people, here's the deal. I've been out of the workplace long enough and many people are telling me "write dammit, write!" So I will cut my teeth here and if all goes well I'll start working on the book I always said I would write (but about what I will use this space to figure out).

The goal of said book will be to get something published about something unique enough to get me as a guest on the Daily Show before Jon Stewart retires. It's good to have goals. I will rant about current events, ideas for new products, movie plots, thoughts on things I have seen or done, politics, religion, business, food....I guess I will blog like millions of others and hope that my ramblings are found to be amusing to you the reader and therapeutic for me the narcissist. I will endeavor to spellcheck every post, but if I miss something it will be your job to figure it out.

Enough of an intro. Lets get started.

Not that you really care, but the other night I got pretty irritated over something really stupid and it spun me downward into a bad place. My nearly 7 year old son loves Sushi. Well, not really Sushi, he loves California Rolls. So after sitting at a place recently and paying to much for 6 pieces we decided to just make them at home. We shopped and got everything we needed and headed home.

Since it was late afternoon and I was dealing with a child not quite 7 years old, of all the ingredients we purchased patience was not one of them. Enter the big mistake of the entire process - Minute Rice. You cannot make California Rolls with Minute Rice. HOWEVER - if some one CAN figure out how to "glutenize" the MR for proper use in making California Rolls please clue me in cause I nearly re-decorated the new kitchen with MR.....and avocado.....and both real and fake crab.....and spears of cucumber.....and smelly seaweed wrap.

Suffice it to say that instead of Homemade Sushi Night it was Open Fridge Night (OFN). Open Fridge Night is when you open the fridge, take out all leftovers that do not yet have mold on them, put it all on the table with paper plates and plastic utensils and tell your family to eat what they can find and to make it a meal. Modern day foraging. At the end of this bountiful feast (depending on your home) you toss everything not eaten and build towards the following week's OFN.

So there you have it. This will be my occasional OFN for you to read and hopefully enjoy. You will get stories about me, my wife, my kids, and a bunch of other folks who will be code s as not to offend (not that I mind offending, but I don't want to deal with the fallout from it).

Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment